Sunday, February 24, 2008

Taxes Has Done It Again

(Click on pics to see larger images)

Well Mike your little buddy has been up to his tricks again. I was out feeding yesterday morning and had just put all the horses out and partitioned off the section where Taxes gets to have a bit more space and play over the partitions with the two other colts (MiKael calls it face boxing which I love). I was cleaning up and the next minute I looked up and this is what greeted me!!!!! I have hunted high and low to try to find out how he did this but cant find anything, no hair on something, no evidence at all.

That triangular flap at the bottom is just a flap of skin. At the top the muscle got torn a bit too but fortunately not too badly. We had two options, anaesthetise him (it is very very cold you can see the breath vapor in the top pic) and stitch him up and hope that he doesnt pull the stitches out, or leave it as it is and flush it with sterile water and use a clear antibiotic spray on it four or five times a day.

As most of you know, Taxes is a little tyrant and has a very strong personality so we decided on the leaving it and trying to keep it clean while it heals. It looks absolutely dreadful. He likes to bite everything so I know he will just have it all open again in an instant which is what happened when he cut his hind leg on the wire a few months back. The added bonus is that because it is still so cold we have no flies, which can be a terrible problem in the summer with open wounds.
So I will keep you posted on his progress here, but it is going to be a few months to get this fixed at least.
Lori

3 comments:

CG said...

OUCH :( that's horrible!!

Anonymous said...

My goodness! What in the world does he get into? He is something isn't he. I noticed the next set of photos it doesn't seem to have slowed him down.

Hope he and you get better soon!

Mike

EquineSpirit said...

OWIE!! Dang!