Sunday, February 17, 2008

Ball Python Feeding - Quite graphic Photos

A friend of mine and her sister have a python which I have pictured in this series and two Boas. This snake is about 2 or 3 feet long so is still quite small and he gets fed every Tuesday. I am a staunch animal lover so this wasnt easy for me to document but I did, and it was in a small tank which made space to work a problem.

(Click on all pics to see larger versions)
After striking at the mouse and having its mouth around its middle the python curled itself around the throat area to suffocate the prey.
He then proceeded to unlock his jaws so that he could consume the mouse from the head first.
He had to stretch and ripple his neck and body to work the mouse down into his tummy.

I will post another picture in a second post of him after completely consuming the mouse.

Iam hoping to do something similar with the Boas, the one is about 6 foot long and the other about two feet long. I will post what I have of them in a seperate post.

Lori

2 comments:

carmilevy said...

The phrase, "Circle of life" keeps running through my head as I see this. Like you, I find this a little unsettling. But that's nature, and that's the whole food chain thing that's allowed us to rise to the top of it all.

Who am I to question things, right?

Amazing photos, Lori. I'm glad you're back. I've missed your voice, and hope you're doing OK.

Anna said...

I am speechless Lori. That doesnt happen often.

:)