Monday, March 31, 2008

Anyone know what type of Hawk this is?

I have had a small hawk hanging around for a few weeks now, I got a really bad shot of one the other day and thought it may be a red tailed hawk, but yesterday this little guy was in the bush outside my kitchen window and I have had to crop the shot heavily to make him a decent size because it was a bit far away. He only gave me the opportunity to take this one shot. When he flew away I didnt see any sign of redness in his tail, but he was gone in a flash.

(Click on pic to enlarge)
This is the one I saw the other day but the quality of the shot is much worse as it was raining and overcast and even further away. I dont think it is the same bird but maybe I will get lucky soon and get a closer and better shot of one of them.
Lori

4 comments:

Stacey Olson said...

Lori, You are correct in the bottom photo is a redtail. but the top one is either a coopers or sharp shinned hawk(sharpy) Really hard to tell from a photo unless you get the tail, on in rounded the other is flat across the bottom. The coopers hawk is smaller than a sharpy.. They go up in size from coopers, sharpy, goss.. etc.. hope this helps...

Lori Schmidt (LoriProPhoto) said...

Stacey thanks for this info. I hsavent seen this bird again in a while, hopefully with the brighter warmer days I will drr him again and get a few better shots.

I am trying to catch up on my blogs and reading the ones I enjoy visiting.

Callie said...

I say a Sharp Shinned Hawk. We have one hang around our birdfeeders every winter.

Anonymous said...

Dede asked Carl what kind of Hawk that was. He said, it was young, but looked like an American Kestral or Hatchet Hawk. Miss seeing you at the meetings. Carl would love to come to your place and meet your horses.